On 6/20/23 18:23, Andy Smith wrote:
Hello Gene,

On Tue, Jun 20, 2023 at 06:01:00PM -0400, gene heskett wrote:
Alright then the question is, is policykit the solution, or do we
install it, then spend two weeks and wreck 7 installs configuring
it to work? In other words, get to the specifics or find a new horse.

I think it's already been demonstrated in this thread that the
desktop launcher for Synaptic calls policykit to start it, so if as
you claim you do a standard Debian install and then try to launch
Synaptic from the desktop (specifically NOT from a terminal window,
and not using sudo or otherwise) and find "nothing happens", then
that is a bug you should report to Debian.

Maybe, but it was a bullseye bug. Probably the best thing is to just give up and put bookworm on it. So far everything works but kmail. And I'm looking forward to a much smoother bookworm experience.

As there have been others in this thread reporting that Synaptic
works fine for them though, I fully expect this to be down to some
way you've found to break your system, probably while fighting one of
your other bogeymen like IPv6 or resolvconf or something, where you
tend to get happy with "rm -f" and "chattr +i".

Then again, there do seem to be others having a similar problem so
maybe there really is an actual bug here. Do let us know the bug
number so we can follow along and find out.

All of that would have been a sensible way to go, without this
nonsense of trying to start GUI apps with sudo or directly as root,
and then blaming the Wayland that lives under your bed.

Thanks,
Andy

Cheers, Gene Heskett.
-Ed Howdershelt (Author, 1940)