On Tue, Jun 20, 2023 at 09:40:22PM -0400, pa...@quillandmouse.com wrote:
> On Tue, 20 Jun 2023 18:12:56 -0400
> Greg Wooledge <g...@wooledge.org> wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
> > 1) Have a root password.  SET A FUCKING ROOT PASSWORD.  Seriously.
>
> Do that, and there are those who will harangue you for it. Sadly,
> people who argue either way know more than I do about these security
> matters. And because expert opinions vary, I don't take either one
> seriously.

They aren't that different. There was a time I thought to need a root
PW for the cases where the system gets stuck in the initramfs (e.g.
it can't mount the root file system due to corruption).

Since then, I've learnt that

- having an install medium around is way more comfortable than the
  initramfs environment anyway
- the thing happens every 2.5 years, take or give; for when it
  happens again, I've forgotten the darned root password (no,
  it's not written on the laptop's bottom ;-)

Since then, I stopped setting a root PW. Not worth the effort, for
my usage patterns. I don't think I'm significantly more secure for
that.

Cheers