On 6/20/23 18:13, Greg Wooledge wrote:
On Tue, Jun 20, 2023 at 06:01:00PM -0400, gene heskett wrote:
Alright then the question is, is policykit the solution, or do we
install it, then spend two weeks and wreck 7 installs configuring
it to work? In other words, get to the specifics or find a new horse.

I don't use synaptic, or xfce, or policykit.  But just from reading
this thread, it looks like:

1) Have a root password.  SET A FUCKING ROOT PASSWORD.  Seriously.
    It won't stop you from using sudo.  It WILL allow you to use pkexec
    and single user mode (for example).  You can always nuke the root
    password later if having a working system offends you.

Ok, I did that but t took quite a few passes to make it take, kept claiming missmatched error.

2) Log in as you.  Start your X session, if that's not already done.

3) Undo whatever crazy shit you've done in the past trying to work
    around stuff.  This includes removing the MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE that
    you copied into root's $HOME directory the other day.

4) Open a terminal.

Existing login, new terminal
5) Run "pkexec /usr/sbin/synaptic".

Passwd requestor does NOT specify which passwd, so I try the new root pw, 3 times, 100% fail with: authentification error under the text line aftere the requestor jiggle rapidly then redraws with the auth error under the text box. No errors logged to the new terminal so I repeat, using my sudo passwd, which logs to the terminal the same old bitch:
gene@coyote:~$ pkexec /usr/sbin/synaptic
Error executing command as another user: Not authorized
with a slight difference. So now I have an unk pw set for root, and will likely have to re-install, again if I reboot.....

Do I have to log out and back in? I'm sorry but that is about a 15 minute undertaking as I have to rebuild the whole damned local network since its running as me. That is about 14 times just typing my pw in addition to several session of sourceing my .profile o correct my $PATH so it all works in a dozen workspaces. However my sudo still works so I'll do it. But first some din-din. Road stew probably since I'm alone now for over 2 years.

6) If there's a popup, READ what it says.  Do what it says.  If it's
    asking for the root password, provide the ROOT password, not your
    own.  If it's asking for your own, provide your own, and not the
    root password.

7) If there's text in the terminal window, READ what it says.  Do what
    it says.

8) If you're still stuck, report back here with all the relevant details.
    This includes, but is not necessarily limited to, the text that
    appeared in the popup, and the text that appeared in the terminal
    window.  Anything else that strikes you as unusual or important,
    report that too.

The goal is to figure out what's different about YOUR setup compared to
the setups of the people for whom it "worked out of the box".  This may
be something you're doing now, or something you changed in the past and
have forgotten you've done.  That's what makes this difficult.

I do not know anything about pkexec or synaptic myself, so this is just a
synthesis of the stuff others have said.  Take all of this with approriate
caveats.

.

Cheers, Gene Heskett.
-Ed Howdershelt (Author, 1940)