debian-u...@howorth.org.uk wrote:

> Cindy Sue Causey <butterflyby...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> My own mind went to the place of thinking sans serif was about those
>> very lines. I just didn't make it to thinking that would make it hard
>> to find any alternate in that family. My long time preference is
>> developer-weary-eye-friendly fonts-anonymous-pro for whatever
>> applications will accept it. Found it accidentally a few years ago.
>> Its differences are noticeable enough that I instantly miss it on new
>> operating system installs. The "apt-cache show" description for
>> fonts-anonymous-pro specifically references both 0 v. O and I v. l v.
>> 1: "Description-en: fixed width font designed for coders This package
>> contains two Font Families. - Anonymous Pro - Anonomous Pro Minus .
>> 'Anonymous Pro' is a family of four fixed-width fonts designed
>> especially with coding in mind. Characters that could be mistaken for
>> one another (O, 0, I, l, 1, etc.) have distinct shapes to make them
>> easier to tell apart in the context of source code.
> Terminal fonts tend to be fixed width since that's a property of
> terminals. Fixed width fonts tend to have serifs because it's easier
> to make the spacing look more even between inherently narrow
> characters and inherently wide ones using details like serifs. So
> finding a sans serif font amongst terminal fonts is likely a difficult
> cause.

The font I have in Gnome terminal is called 'Monospace'. It doesn't have
serifs generally, but there is on I and l, and on J. And the 0 has a dot
in it.

The Gnome Tweaks program has a font selector which shows 'The quick
brown fox jumps over the lazy dog', searching for 'sans' I found only
'Noto Sans Mono Regular' which distinguished the I and l.