On Thu, 14 Sep 2023 16:54:27 -0400
Stefan Monnier <monn...@iro.umontreal.ca> wrote:

> Still going on with this?

I am.

> Have you actually looked at those two files:
>
>     /lib/udev/rules.d/60-libsane1.rules and
> /usr/lib/udev/rules.d/60-libsane1.rules
>
> to see if they're identical or not and to see if you might have an
> idea how to merge them?

Yes, I did. On some hosts they are identical, on others they're
different. That's why I asked how to handle that.

> `usrmerge` did give you a pretty clear explanation of the problem it's
> facing (AFAIC)

It does indeed.

> and I believe it should be very easy to address it

Everything is easy if you only know how to do it.

As I said, on some hosts they are identical. So what to do? Can I
delete one of them? If yes, which one?

On other hosts they differ, here the first lines:

/lib/

# This file was generated from description files (*.desc)
# by sane-desc 3.6 from sane-backends 1.1.1-debian
#
# udev rules file for supported USB and SCSI devices
#
# For the list of supported USB devices see /lib/udev/hwdb.d/20-sane.hwdb
#
# The SCSI device support is very basic and includes only
# scanners that mark themselves as type "scanner" or
# SCSI-scanners from HP and other vendors that are entitled "processor"
# but are treated accordingly.
#
# If your SCSI scanner isn't listed below, you can add it to a new rules
# file under /etc/udev/rules.d/.
#
# If your scanner is supported by some external backend (brother, epkowa,
# hpaio, etc) please ask the author of the backend to provide proper
# device detection support for your OS
#
# If the scanner is supported by sane-backends, please mail the entry to
# the sane-devel mailing list (sane-de...@alioth-lists.debian.net).
#
ACTION=="remove", GOTO="libsane_rules_end"

…

/usr/lib/

# This file was generated from description files (*.desc)
# by sane-desc 3.6 from sane-backends 1.0.31-debian
#
[...]
ACTION!="add", GOTO="libsane_rules_end"

…

So the file in /lib appears to be newer. So what to do? Can I delete
the one in /usr/lib ?

> (no need to play with anything funny like setting up a VM or
> mounting the disk from some other system).

Which is good because that's not that easy, apparently.

Thank you for your replies and support regarding this matter.

Marco