On 12/21/23 09:58, Alain D D Williams wrote:
On Thu, Dec 21, 2023 at 01:39:53PM +0000, Andy Smith wrote:

Okay well 30KiB/s is only about 78GiB/month which isn't really a
lot. I think we're both in UK and it's been hard to find a domestic
Internet connection that you'd run a web server on that can't cope
with 78G/mo. So ignoring it seems okay.
I have been with my ISP for 14 years (moved to get IPv6), for various reasons I
cannot change to a tariff that will give me anything like that (their support
has also fallen through the floor) - I need to change (& the landline) and then
I prolly would not care. Andrews & Arnold and Zen seem recommended.

You say these never complete a TCP handshake even though you do run
Apache on port 80? If so, it does make me wonder what they are
trying to do.
They might be trying to hijack an existing TCP connection or, even simpler,
cause my machine problems by having many, many 1/2 set up TCP connections
(which uses memory until they expire).

Use a firewall and set it up correctly.

Assuming a residential environment.

Firewall the router and server(s) as well as all the client machines.

I have nginx, dovecot and exim4 and other daemons running on my network servers.

Most, (includes many of the ones here) don't have a firewall properly configured. Nor do they understand how to properly configure a firewall.

You will still get scanned but there is little you can do about that.

--

Hindi madali ang maging ako