On Thu, Dec 21, 2023 at 10:31:06AM -0500, Pocket wrote:

> All you should be seeing is scans which you can not prevent.

I am looking at incoming packets with tcpdump. This sees packets *before* they
are filtered by iptables.

> What are you using for a firewall?

Something hand rolled. Reasonably complicated (over 300 rules) as it deals
with: internet, VPN, DMZ, internal network for virtual machines.

It is NOT a firewall issue.

> It is my belief that your firewall is NOT setup correctly and that is why
> you are seeing the traffic.

My firewall *cannot* deal with packets before they hit my machine. They only
hit my machine after they have arrived over broadband.

The only thing that I might be able to do is to somehow prevent discovery that
my
machine is listening on port 80 -- that would mean somehow distinguishing
between a genuine visitor and one that is mapping the Internet to later pass
that map somewhere else which generates the unwanted traffic that I see.

> Amazon AWS system. should not be able to hit your http server, unless you
> want it to.

How do I distinguish between wanted & unwanted connections. The only thing that
I can think of is to DROP incoming packets if the source port is 80 or 443 -
which would disrupt the mapping process.

However: if the mapping process uses normal TCP (ie high/random port number)
this would do little.

--
Alain Williams
Linux/GNU Consultant - Mail systems, Web sites, Networking, Programmer, IT