On Mon, May 27, 2024 at 05:09:02PM -0400, Paul M Foster wrote:

> Folks:
>
> At some point this year, I'm moving into a new house, and it is not wired
> for internet (WHY aren't new houses wired with Cat5/6/7?). The local
> internet provider will likely provide a wireless router, as they all do. My
> idea is to put a device which receives wireless signal from the
> router/modem, and has an RJ45 jack in it in each room. So each room would
> have one of these, and the devices in it would be hooked to that device via
> cat 5e. I hope that's clear.
>
> I'd like to shop for such a device, but I don't know what it's called. Can
> anyone provide advice, and possibly preferred brand names? I'd appreciate
> it.

I did some more research, and it looks like I must have misstated the
problem.

Let's assume I can't get in the attic and wire the place. Let's assume that
I've got a wireless router/modem in, say, the garage. Let's say I have
three rooms with devices I want to connect (one way or another) to my
router/modem.

It appears there are two solutions. One is wifi extenders, and one is a
mesh network. In both cases, the device sits in the room and communicates
via wifi to the modem/router. The devices in the room connect to the device
via ethernet cable.

How does that sound? Any dissenting opinions? Any brand recommendations?

Paul

--
Paul M. Foster
Personal Blog: http://noferblatz.com