Paul M Foster wrote:
> At some point this year, I'm moving into a new house, and it is not wired
> for internet (WHY aren't new houses wired with Cat5/6/7?). The local
> internet provider will likely provide a wireless router, as they all do. My
> idea is to put a device which receives wireless signal from the
> router/modem, and has an RJ45 jack in it in each room. So each room would
> have one of these, and the devices in it would be hooked to that device via
> cat 5e. I hope that's clear.
>
> I'd like to shop for such a device, but I don't know what it's called. Can
> anyone provide advice, and possibly preferred brand names? I'd appreciate
> it.

Those are wireless access points, but you don't plug anything
into the WAN port, just into the LAN ports, and you turn off
DHCP on each of them.

This is highly suboptimal, by the way. If you own this house,
you really want to run cat6 from each room to a central location
(attic, basement, room where wires enter your house) and put a
WAP in about half of the rooms and a simple switch in the other
half.

If you don't own the house, you might be surprised at what's
available to run cables along baseboards safely and
inexpensively, if more visibly.

-dsr-