On Mon, May 27, 2024 at 8:13 PM Paul M Foster <pa...@quillandmouse.com> wrote:

> At some point this year, I'm moving into a new house, and it is not wired
> for internet (WHY aren't new houses wired with Cat5/6/7?).

Your contract did not specify the house to be wired. You should have
called it out, if you wanted it.

> The local
> internet provider will likely provide a wireless router, as they all do. My
> idea is to put a device which receives wireless signal from the
> router/modem, and has an RJ45 jack in it in each room. So each room would
> have one of these, and the devices in it would be hooked to that device via
> cat 5e. I hope that's clear.
>
> I'd like to shop for such a device, but I don't know what it's called. Can
> anyone provide advice, and possibly preferred brand names? I'd appreciate

If you want to use ethernet, then you want a switch. Each room gets
wired for ethernet, and each room needs an ethernet cable. All cables
are backhauled to the switch, and the switch is plugged into the
telecom modem or router.

If you want to use wifi, then get a couple of 802.11 AC (or above)
routers. 802.11 AC provides "wifi roaming." Backhaul the wifi base
stations using ethernet to the telecom provider's modem. In this case,
you only need two ethernet cables - one for each backhaul.

802.11 AC was the first to provide wifi roaming. 802.11 AC was branded
Wifi 5. You can also use 802.11 AX, which is Wifi 6. Most (all?) of
your devices should support 802.11 AC/Wifi 5. You should check if they
support 802.11 AX, so you can learn if you can provide the 802.11
AX/Wifi 6 network.

Now, to go from the telecom company's modem or router to the telecom
company's network takes an interface device. Nowadays, that is an ONT
or Optical Network Terminal. The telecom gives (sells?) you the ONT,
too.

The ONT is the equivalent to the old twisted pair NID or Network
Interface Device. Everything inside up to the ONT or the NID is CPE or
Customer Premise Equipment. The subscriber is responsible for the CPE.
The ONT and NID outward is the responsibility of the telecom provider.

The ONT is the bridge from the house's network to the telecom's
network. The ONT can often provide both Ethernet and RG-6 cable to the
modem or router.

Jeff