Am Freitag, 7. Juni 2024, 22:29:30 CEST schrieb Van Snyder:
Hi! Sadly to tell, that I treid hard to get 340.xx running in Bookworm. The
problem is: You can not get it build with the actual kernel sources.

I checked and the developers missed some dependencies, the NVidia driver needs
at build time.

You can get running it, if you are using an old kernel, like th eone from
buster, maybe bullseye. In these kernels the dependencies and the libs, the
sources are searching, are existent.

However, maybe you can trick the build by adding the needed dependencies and
things, the driver is searching. But I dunno, if this is a good idea.

I also tried the orginal sources from nvidia.com, but here the same dependency
problem appeared.

In some former mails I asked the kernel developers for help, but there was no
big interest in fixing things with closed source drivers (however, the kernel
module is not closed source as far as I know).

Most people are pointing to nouveau, but this is pita. Development in nouveau
is also not much any more people told.

Thus, with this old graphics card in linux is a problem, although they are in
many notebooks people still use (I am running a Lenovo T520, several years
old, but still fast enough). It has also a NVidia-card built in which needs
340.xx but I can not use it due to the lack of the kernel driver.

Just a hint: Sometimes the nvidia-config module says, you need 340.xx, but
this is not always true. My card (with th eolder kernel) was running 390.xx,
although th esystem told me, I have to use 340.xx. 390.xx was running like a
charm, 340.xx crashed. So it lied.

Sorry, that I can help no further and for the bad news, but do not try too
much - I fear, you will fail!

Have a nice day!

Hans