On Wed, Jul 03, 2024 at 02:16:20AM -0400, Felix Miata wrote:
> Van Snyder composed on 2024-06-07 13:29 (UTC-0700):
>
> > The messages I found said "Support for it ended in 2019. Use nouveau."

This is support from Nvidia, with official Nvidia proprietary drivers

> > been able to install the driver, and had no trouble. I made the mistake
> > of installing Debian 12.5 on the same partition, so I don't have the
> > Debian 10 install anymore. It freezes so completely that the keyboard
> > doesn't work, so I can't switch to a TTY screen. Even if I "ssh" to it
> > from my desktop, I can't kill and restart the graphics. I have a script
> > to restart KDE, but it does nothing. Even "init 3" doesn't do the
> > trick. I have to hold down the power key to reboot. I don't think it's
> > a hardware problem that amazingly manifested simultaneously with a new
> > install.

It's a software problem: Nvidia drivers conflict with nouveau in interesting
ways and, as Felix says, are very hard to remove once installed. This is
particularly a problem on high end laptops with more than one GPU - where
you need Optimus?? drivers.

> PS: Once an attempt to install an NVidia proprietary driver is made, whether
> actually supported or not, subsequent success using nouveau far more often
> than not fails prior to perfect purging of the NVidia software by following
> the installation instructions provided with it, and often fails anyhow. IOW,
> once NVidia driver installation is attempted, a clean Debian installation,
> absent xserver-xorg-video-nouveau, is the typical path to nouveau success.
> --

I'd almost go further. A clean Debian install allowing the installation
to pick files should "just work". You might have lost some video
accelleration compared to the proprietary drivers but it should be fine.

If you need to install for something with dual GPUs, do a text only install
without installing any graphical environment _then_ and only then add
the appropriate magic to get dual GPUs to work.

You are using TDE. Do a text only install, uncheck all graphical desktops
 - you might need to install network manager if you are using wifi to
install with. Reboot. Use nmtui or nmcli to connect to wireless.

At that point, install TDE - which is not currently a desktop supported
in the main Debian installer.

Resolve never to buy Nvidia again :)

All the very best, as ever

Andy