On 6/8/24 12:13, gene heskett wrote:
On 6/8/24 03:22, David Christensen wrote:
If you installed VirtualBox on your Debian primary workstation, you could create one Debian VM for each of your engineering/ manufacturing apps.  This would give each app a clean Debian VM for installation, prevent apps from fighting each other, and prevent apps from modifying your base Debian installation.

It is quite rare that a snap, appimage, or venv needs anything from the system. Memory or storage is generally done at whatever venv is started as the user. That venv equ is generally what they all claim to do. I see your reticence to make use of them as a restriction.

My suggestion is a variation of the "divide and conquer" troubleshooting strategy.

I am not familiar with snap, appimage, or venv. Regardless of the software distribution mechanism, I expect that each app is developed and tested against a list of supported OS's and releases using VM's. If you provide each app with its own VM containing a supported OS and release, the app should install and work correctly. And, your base Debian installation should remain stable.

David