On 6/6/24 22:14, gene heskett wrote:
In experimenting I've found a name clash, there are appprently two orca's. one is a speech synth, one is a slicer for 3d printers I don't use. Typing orca in a shell locks the shell wo any output, for several minutes but comes back to a prompt with a ctl-c, so I've NDC which was being executed. Whatevver, the installation is quite voluminous:
gene@coyote:~/AppImages$ locate orca |wc -l
1560

So I took orca out, which took gnome out. But now gnomes dependencies will put orca back in. So now I can't run autoremove. So one more time this broken damned bookworm install has bit me in a rear.

No Cheers, Gene Heskett, CET.

Here are my installation notes from when I migrated my daily driver from Debian 9 to Debian 11. It has orca, and orca has never bothered me:

January 9, 2022

1.  Wipe Intel SSD 520 Series 60 GB drive in Intel DQ67SW.  Insert
    debian-11.2.0-amd64-netinst USB flash drive into USB 3.0 port
    adjacent Gigabit port. Boot:

        Debian GNU/Linux installer menu (BIOS mode)
                                        install
        Language                        C
        Continent or region             North America
        Country, territory or area      United States
        Keymap to use                   American English
        Hostname                        laalaa
        Domain name                     tracy.holgerdanske.com
        Root password                   ********
        Re-enter password               ********
        Full name for new user          debian
        Username for your account       debian
        Choose a password               ********
        Re-enter password               ********
        Select your time zone           Pacific
        Partitioning method             Manual
          Select a partition... SCSI1 (0,0,0) (sda) - 60.0 GB ATA INTEL
SSDSC2CW06
            Create partition table      Yes
          Select a partition...         pri/log 60.0 GB FREE SPACE
            Create a new partition
              New partition size        1 GB
              Type                      Primary
              Location                  Beginning
              Partition settings
                Use as                  Ext4 journaling file system
                Mount point             /boot
                Mount options           defaults
                Label                   laalaa_boot
                Reserved blocks         5%
                Typical usage           standard
                Bootable flag           on
                Done setting up the partition
          Select a partition...         pri/log 59.0 GB FREE SPACE
            Create a new partition
              New partition size        1 GB
              Type                      Primary
              Location                  Beginning
              Partition settings
                Use as                  physical volume for encryption
                Encryption method       Device-mapper (dm-crypt)
                Encryption              aes
                Key size                256
                IV algorithm            xts-plain64
                Encryption key          Random key
                Erase data              no
                Bootable flag           off
                Done setting up the partition
          Select a partition...         pri/log 58.0 GB FREE SPACE
            Create a new partition
              New partition size        13 GB
              Type                      Primary
              Location                  Beginning
              Partition settings
                Use as                  physical volume for encryption
                Encryption method       Device-mapper (dm-crypt)
                Encryption              aes
                Key size                256
                IV algorithm            xts-plain64
                Encryption key          Passphrase
                Erase data              no
                Bootable flag           off
                Done setting up the partition
          Configure encrypted volumes
            Write the changes to disk   Yes
            Encryption configuration    Create encrypted volumes
            Devices to encrypt
              [*] /dev/sda2 (1000MB; crypto)
              [*] /dev/sda3 (13000MB; crypt)
            Continue
            Encryption configuration    Finish
            Encryption passphrase       ********
            Re-enter passphrase         ********
          Select a partition...         #1 13.0 GB f ext4
            Partition settings
              Use as                    Ext4 journaling file system
              Mount point               /
              Mount options             defaults
              Label                     laalaa_root
              Reserved blocks           5%
              Typical usage             standard
              Done setting up the partition
          Finish partitioning and write changes to disk
            Write the changes to disks  Yes
        Debian archive mirror country   United States
        Debian archive mirror           deb.debian.org
        HTTP proxy information          <blank>
        Package usage survey            No
        Choose software                 Debian desktop environment
                                            Xfce
                                        SSH server
                                        standard system utiilties
        Device for boot loader installation
                                        /dev/sdb
(ata-INTEL_SSDSC2CW060A3_********)
        Installation complete           Continue

    Push and hold power button at POST; release when computer turns
    off.  Remove USB flash drive.

2.  Take image:
<snip>

I may have installed only once in the past 2 years, ~4 months, but I have blown up that computer many times. The key is defense in depth -- OS configuration files and data working directories in a networked version control system (CVS) with the repository on another computer, OS disk images, OS and data backups, IMAP backups of incoming and outgoing messages, etc..

Did you ever build that dedicated backup server? I recall you buying a bunch of 2 TB 2.5" SATA SSD's for crazy cheap that turned out to be counterfeit, but do not recall any news since then.

David