> Does it really have to be in the home directory? Can't the software (and/or
> the users) open files in, say, /shared/accounting?

It doesn't really matter where folders/mounts are. Users can share any
directory (and subdirectories) in their home directory with any other
user. The shared folder is mounted in the special directory "Shared
with me" of the recipient home directory. I.e: John/Sales/Invoices is
mounted in Alice/Shared with me/Invoices.

> If it really needs to be under /home: symlinks.

Symlinks are no good since the user sharing his directory can decide
to share it read/write to one user but read only to another