Ram Ramesh composed on 2024-06-19 15:45 (UTC-0500):

>    I have my monitor, keyboard and mouse shared through a KVM switch.
> One host is Linux Debian bookworm 12.5 and another is laptop running
> Windows 11. When I leave KVM on the laptop side for extended period I
> have issues switching back to Debian side. When I switch, the screen is
> blank and KB does not respond as if Debian is running headless. I had to
> remote login and reboot Debian side with KVM locked on this side to get
> back the monitor/KB. This happens regardless of whether I am in Xorg or
> VT.  I do not know how to force Debian/Linux to check for monitor/KB
> again after extended period of disconnect when it has assumed it is
> running headless. Any solutions?

Not to recover, but to perhaps prevent, via kernel cmdline, one can direct the
kernel which framebuffer mode to force-enable with video=, e.g.:

        video=2560x1440@60e

https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/fb/modedb.txt
--
Evolution as taught in public schools is, like religion,
        based on faith, not based on science.

Felix Miata