On Sun, 23 Jun 2024 13:01:10 +1000
Keith Bainbridge <keithr...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hello Keith,

>Not to mention some cultures change how words are spelt: colour, odour,
>metres to quote a few.

Due, mainly, to the literacy of the people that moved, rather than any
deliberate choice.  That is, spelling was often a 'best guess'.

Oh, and in the UK, we used to spell it labor, too.  It changed over the
years to conform with colour, etc.  Not sure why, but possibly to do
with the Victorians insisting that language should conform to
(largely mathematical) rules.  However, as a keen family historian, with
many certificates with people's occupation on, one can witness the
changes in spelling over a decade or so, on that paperwork.

--
 Regards  _       "Valid sig separator is {dash}{dash}{space}"
         / )      "The blindingly obvious is never immediately apparent"