On 06/23/2024 11:35 AM, Stefan Monnier wrote:
Relevant laptop is so old I don't know if it can boot from a physical USB
device. I was suspecting that simplest thing would be copying suitable image
to hard drive and let GRUB earn its keep ;}

Indeed my trusty old Thinkpad X30 doesn't boot from USB keys (tho in
theory it can boot from a USB floppy reader), so I use one of two
alternative options:

- Boot using the Grub on the X30's own HDD, and then ask Grub to boot
   the kernel+initrd found on the USB key (this is my favorite solution).

I think this is the path I should follow. It explicitly handles my immediate problem and most likely satisfactorily handles issue(s) on other machine(s).

Where would I find relevant GRUB documentation?

- Copy the USB key's kernel+initrd to the /boot partition on the X30's
   HDD and boot from that.

Can I copy the USB key's kernel+initrd to a currently empty partition and then treat it in manner similar to USB key above? [goal being not to mess with a currently functioning system ;]

- Take the HDD out of the X30 and connect it to my desktop via some
   HDD<->USB adapter.  Then do what I need to do to it from the comfort
   of my desktop computer, typically using `chroot` along the way (this
   is the second best).

         Stefan

Thank you.