On Mon, Jun 24, 2024 at 06:21:57PM -0400, The Wanderer wrote:
> On 2024-06-24 at 18:12, John Hasler wrote:
>
> > The Wanderer writes:
> >
> >> (Similar logic could be used for 11:59:59 PM, 12:00 M, and 12:00:01 AM,
> >> where the standalone M would stand for "midnight". That does expose one
> >> unfortunate weakness of this system: unless you introduce an additional
> >> layer of complexity, e.g. using "00:00 M", the notations for noon and
> >> midnight would be identical.)
> >
> > 12 Noon and 12 Midnight works.

British forces - and probably also merchant shipping - use log keeping
for radio purposes in UTC. The need to be sure of dates means that
0000 doesn't exist - logs jump from 2359 to 0001.

A colleague - ex-RAF - reckons that those are the two minutes the RAF
gives each person for personal space :)

Andy