On 24/6/24 21:41, Erwan David wrote:
Le 24/06/2024 à 22:38, Curt a écrit :
On 2024-06-23, gene heskett <ghesk...@shentel.net> wrote:
A attribute the FCC forced on broadcasters as they like to see
transmitter logs kept in 24 hour time. I got so used to it that when I
retired in 2002, I'd been on 24 hour time for 40 years and didn't
convert back to two 12 hour periods a day.  The AM/PM convention. So
when I say its 22:30, its 10:30 PM to the neighbors next door.
Here in France I grew used to it very easily, and now the AM PM convention seems wrought with potential error. I'm sure we've crashed a space vehicle or
two do to the potential for conflating the two, like we did when we
mixed up miles for kilometers (or vice-versa).

When my mom came to visit one time in the nineties she requested I
change my alarm clock to AM PM time (it is now 15:25 here in the Gallic
regions, where the weather has finally turned summery after forty days and
forty nights of rain).

Celsius too is only a matter of habit. 30° is hot; you don't translate
anymore. It is what it is. Like a pomme is an apple and une feuille is a
leaf. You can become confused, though, when filling out US forms where
the birth date is written M/D/Y instead of D/M/Y, and sometimes you have
to be careful not commit the silly mistake that will entrain months
of delay in intricate *dédales* of the administration.

AM/PM would not be so strange if between 11AM and 1 PM it was 12 AM ...

The correct format for the 24 hour clock time, does not include a colon between the hours and the minutes - 10:30pm is 2230 in the 24 hour clock format.

Regarding the reference to degrees Celsius, as a person who remembers the switchover (in this region) from degrees Fahrenheit to the "metric" system, it is easy to remember, using the alternative name for the temperature units; at the time of the switch, it was used - Centigrade, as it was based on a 100 degree system, whereby zero degrees Centigrade, is the freezing point of (pure) water, at standard atmospheric pressure, and, one hundred degrees Centigrade, is the boiling point of (pure) water at standard atmospheric pressure.

And, degrees Centigrade (which is the name that I always use, not Celsius, as Centigrade is a meaningful name), is far more easy to comprehend, than either Fahrenheit (of the imperial system of units), or, Kelvin units (which does not include the use of the term "degrees"), whereby, from memory, zero degrees Centigrade, is 273.15 Kelvin units, if my memory is correct.

And, methinks that this content is, or, has become, somewhat off-topic...

..
Bret Busby
Armadale
West Australia