On 2024-06-23, gene heskett <ghesk...@shentel.net> wrote:

> A attribute the FCC forced on broadcasters as they like to see
> transmitter logs kept in 24 hour time. I got so used to it that when I
> retired in 2002, I'd been on 24 hour time for 40 years and didn't
> convert back to two 12 hour periods a day.  The AM/PM convention. So
> when I say its 22:30, its 10:30 PM to the neighbors next door.

Here in France I grew used to it very easily, and now the AM PM convention
seems wrought with potential error. I'm sure we've crashed a space vehicle or
two do to the potential for conflating the two, like we did when we
mixed up miles for kilometers (or vice-versa).

When my mom came to visit one time in the nineties she requested I
change my alarm clock to AM PM time (it is now 15:25 here in the Gallic
regions, where the weather has finally turned summery after forty days and
forty nights of rain).

Celsius too is only a matter of habit. 30° is hot; you don't translate
anymore. It is what it is. Like a pomme is an apple and une feuille is a
leaf. You can become confused, though, when filling out US forms where
the birth date is written M/D/Y instead of D/M/Y, and sometimes you have
to be careful not commit the silly mistake that will entrain months
of delay in intricate *dédales* of the administration.