On Fri, 28 Jun 2024 20:53:50 +0000
Michael Kjörling <c9bc136c6...@ewoof.net> wrote:

> $ for v in $(seq 1 119); do sed -i 's,<span class="verse"
> id="V'$v'">,<sup>,g' ./*.html; done
>
> Be sure to have a copy in case something goes wrong; and diff(1) a few
> files afterwards to make sure that the result is as you intended.

Having done that (or similar), don't forget to change the relevant
other </span> closing tags you don't want to change because they close
other <span> tags we haven't seen. So you may prefer to use regexes as
Murphy intended, handling both the opening and closing tags at the same
time, leaving the intervening text intact.

--
Does anybody read signatures any more?

https://charlescurley.com
https://charlescurley.com/blog/