Richard,

Thanks for your reply.

On Sunday, 30-06-2024 at 17:11 Richard wrote:
> Depends on what you are trying to do.

I am trying to understand how to use Wine so that I can install various Windows
programs and have them work.

With the knowledge I would like to help others who are even less technical than
myself, as some people have their favourite Windows program they still want to
run.

For example, I understand that you can test your Wine installation by using
iexplore, but this fails to display the page. I see it useful to resolve this
issue at this point before trying to install two other actual programs which I
would like to install but also have blank pages where there is supposed to be
text.

I have not found useful documentation that can get me over the "Could not find
Wine Gecko",  "Failed to init Gecko" error messages.

$ wine iexplore
Could not find Wine Gecko. HTML rendering will be disabled.
010c:err:mshtml:create_document_object Failed to init Gecko, returning
CLASS_E_CLASSNOTAVAILABLE

Another issue I would like to resolve, is it possible to get a rpc service
running?. This service is not showing in Task Manager. I assume it is actually
possible, but I do know know how and have not succeeded.

err:ole:start_rpcss Failed to open RpcSs service

https://www.coretechnologies.com/blog/windows-services/rpcss/

Maybe some of these OLE messages are related to the RPC service?

074c:err:mscoree:CLRRuntimeInfo_GetRuntimeDirectory error reading registry key
for installroot
074c:err:ole:apartment_getclassobject DllGetClassObject returned error
0x80040111 for dll L"C:\\windows\\system32\\msimtf.dll"
074c:err:ole:com_get_class_object no class object
{c1ee01f2-b3b6-4a6a-9ddd-e988c088ec82} could be created for context 0x401
074c:err:ole:apartment_getclassobject DllGetClassObject returned error
0x80040111 for dll L"C:\\windows\\system32\\msimtf.dll"
074c:err:ole:com_get_class_object no class object
{c1ee01f2-b3b6-4a6a-9ddd-e988c088ec82} could be created for context 0x401
0330:err:rpc:I_RpcReceive we got fault packet with status 0xc004f012
0330:err:rpc:I_RpcReceive we got fault packet with status 0xc004f012
0330:err:rpc:I_RpcReceive we got fault packet with status 0xc004f012

> But in my experience, if you don't
> need to do some heavy work to maybe get something to work,

Now you have a point there. To be honest, there was only one Windows program I
personally wanted to run, and it is non-essential anyway (and it works in Wine
without changing the Wine installation).

PlayOnLinux is running one of the programs I have been testing with, but my
thoughts is that if PlayOnLinux can, then so should Wine. I just want to know
how to use Wine.

> take a look at
> Bottles [1].

Mostly I only install software that is available in the Debian or Arch
repositories, and I cannot find Bottles in the Debian Repository. I do not use
snaps or flatpacks. Maybe I should but I don't.
Hopefully one day, Bottles will mature to the point it can go through the
Debian packaging system. I appreciate Debian's packaging systems.