On Mon, Jul 1, 2024 at 6:33 PM George at Clug <c...@goproject.info> wrote:

> To all who replied, Thanks.
>
> Sadly after further testing I still have very little success with Wine.
>
> When I installed WineHQ's Wine Installation, Gecko and Mono were able to be
> installed. I noticed a rpcss.exe (from memory) in Taskmgr. This at least
> allowed me to display the initial web page in Wine's Iexplore. But sadly it
> did not help me in successfully  installing the current Windows versions of
> Firefox or Chrome, or other programs I was having challenges with.
>
> I also tried PlayOnLinux without any success.
>
> The "Time vs ROI" for this endeavour suggests to me, that for now, I should
> just use Linux native programs.

I think this is probably wandering off-topic, but I'll toss it out there...

When in Rome, do as the Romans do. That means you run Windows programs
on WIndows VMs, and Linux programs on Linux VMs. Don't try to use Wine
to run Windows programs on Linux; and don't try to use a POSIX
subsystem to run Linux programs on WIndows. Mixing and matching is not
worth the aggravation.

You never stated what problem you are trying to solve. I'm guessing
there's a native Linux replacement for it so you don't need to wine
and iexplore.

Jeff