I wrote a report with LaTeX, and afterwards discovered it must be
PDF/A-compliant - which wasn't. I found the pdfx LaTeX package and followed its
instructions, thus obtaining a file that should be PDF/A and pdfinfo identifies
as such, but my employer's upload form thinks isn't. Is pdfinfo reliable enough
that I can tell my employer his form is broken? If not, how can I make sure
that pdflatex's output is actually PDF/A-compliant?

I will also probably have to upload under the same requirement some third-party
PDF, which is not PDF/A, without access to an editable version. Is there a way
to convert them to PDF/A? I know that converting from an editable version would
be the correct way for this, but I have no real way to get it.

A requirement of any solution is that it doesn't rely on non-DFSG-compliant
software, including online conversion tools.

Thanks for any help.

--
Ceppo