David,

How are your efforts toward setting a static IP address going?  Have you
succeeded.

I set up a lot of test servers (for fun and no profit), and hence work with
Hypervisors (KVM more than Virtual Box), and have some experience in this area.
But at this point I am not sure if you need assistance or were just generally
asking questions about the comment in the documentation about dhcpcd.

After checking my computers (VM and physical), I cannot find dhcpcd installed.
Hence I guess the comment in the documentation was simply a reminder to anyone
how may have been using that service, to ensure they disable it for their
Static IP addressed interface?

If you have having any challenges getting your VM to access your "UniFi
equipment", please let me know.

If the dhcpcd service was installed and running I presume:

# systemctl stop dhcpcd.service            will stop (deactivate) dhcpcd
# systemctl disable dhcpcd.service       will prevent it from restarting

George.

In my research before replying I found the following information which I found
interesting. Thank you for raising your question.

# systemctl list-units --type=service | grep dhcp

https://wiki.debian.org/NetworkConfiguration
Make sure to disable all DHCP services, e.g. dhcpcd.

https://support.qacafe.com/cdrouter/knowledge-base/prevent-network-manager-from-controlling-an-interface/
The preferred way to tell Network Manager to stop controlling an interface is
by creating/updating a file in the /etc/NetworkManager/conf.d/ directory and
giving it the following content. You can name the file anything with a .conf
suffix, but all files in that directory will be read in asciibetical order.
Files read later override snippets of files read earlier. Make sure the keyfile
plugin is listed. Other plugins may be listed too.

[main]
plugins=ifcfg-rh,keyfile

[keyfile]
unmanaged-devices=interface-name:eth0;interface-name:wifi1

The keyfile section can also include wildcards and exceptions as follows:

[keyfile]
unmanaged-devices=interface-name:eth*,except:interface-name:eth0,except:interface-name:eth3;interface-name:wifi*

Interfaces can also be defined by their MAC addresses (in lower case):

[keyfile]
unmanaged-devices=mac:00:11:22:33:44:55;mac:66:77:88:99:00:aa

Reboot for the changes to take effect.

https://wiki.debian.org/NetworkConfiguration#Setting_up_an_Ethernet_Interface

Gnome:
sudo apt-get remove --purge network-manager-gnome network-manager
network-manager-pptp network-manager-pptp-gnome
KDE:
sudo apt-get remove --purge knetworkmanager network-manager

https://wiki.debian.org/SystemdNetworkd