On 2024-07-14 19:18, Greg Wooledge wrote:
On Sun, Jul 14, 2024 at 19:09:54 +0200, Hans wrote:
I am wondering, why on a multiuser system like debian the rights for a normal
user are "rw- r-- r--", (owner: user and ownergroup: usergroup)

Tradition, and a culture based around sharing.

The Unix culture of openness and freedom (specifically the freedom to
distribute your work to others) works best if you can say "Hey Betty,
can you take a look at my .bashrc?  I can't get my foo() function to
work."  Or "Hey friends, I've made some changes to my bar.c file that
you might want to look at."  And then they can just read the files
directly from your home directory.

If you don't like this setting, change it.

Setting umask in your shell profile isn't that hard indeed. I've doing that for years. However, that does not mean your DE will honour that setting. I have tried to do so for KDE (more specifically Krusader), but I ended up nowhere. I haven't found a setting that will be honoured KDE wide or even just in Krusader alone.

Grx HdV