On 2024-07-18 04:00, Van Snyder wrote:
On Wed, 2024-07-17 at 22:17 -0400, e...@gmx.us wrote:
On 7/17/24 21:25, Gary Dale wrote:
> I'm running Debian/Trixie on an AMD64 system, using the Plasma 5
> over X
> desktop. Firefox 115.12.0esr is crashing multiple times per day. It
> frequently happens when page I'm transfers to another page that
> creates a  > PDF or just has a complicated link. It's annoying.

I upgraded from Debian 10 to Debian 12.5 "Bookworm." The NVidia 390
driver no longer works, so I had software rendering because nouveau
apparently can't do GPU rendering. Rather than crashing, the system
essentially froze. After waiting for a VERY long time, I would give up
and cycle power, with my reboot set up to start an empty session, not
the one I had going at time of the power cycle. I replaced the graphics
card with a Quadro K2200, which works with the nvidia-drivers package
that's still part of the Debian 12.5 distro. With GPU rendering, I no
longer have the problem.

My only issue is random system freezes seemingly caused by the browser.
I remembered that that was the reason I installed the nvidia 470 driver.
on originally Bookworm -> Trixie with Vivaldi browser it was stable.

This fresh install of Trixie has had system freeze with firefox
with nouveau driver. Less so (touch wood) with Vivaldi.
There was a message while I was fiddling about that the
 nvidia Quadro K4000 is not supported by something or other.
Perhaps I should invest in a newer graphics card.
mick