On 2024-07-18 13:51, Andrew M.A. Cater wrote:
On Thu, Jul 18, 2024 at 10:41:50AM -0700, Van Snyder wrote:
On Thu, 2024-07-18 at 07:55 +0000, Andrew M.A. Cater wrote:
HOW did you upgrade? Did you go via 11?

Fresh install on reformatted boot and root partitions.

OK

I can't do that with my old Dell Vostro 1700 because the NVidia
graphics chip is soldered to the motherboard, and it needs the 340
driver, which is also no longer available.

One chipset.

If it *just* has Nvidia - at this point, use Nouveau - stop trying to
use Nvidia drivers on old hardware and that Dell is 2008 vintage?
I gave up trying to install the NVidia 340 driver on Debian 12.5. If
the rendering is unbearably slow, I'll revert to Debian 10.

Please *don't* do that. Debian 10 is out of security support. Debian 11
will receive a final security update on 31st August as it transitions
to Freexian and LTS. Please use Debian stable wherever feasible.

Software movces on - the very latest Nvidia drivers are "more free"
but
also incorporate entire RISC-V chipsets on board the latest cards.
These are the very latest cards for a desktop/workstation.

I can't upgrade a soldered-in chip.

So just use Nouveau already on a ~15 year old laptop.

All the very best, as ever,

Andy Cater
(amaca...@debian.org)

I've been using Debian 12 (Bookworm) on my notebook for the past year without issues. It does require the NVidia drivers for the external display to work - something to do with the on-board AMD graphics chipset apparently.