On Thu, Jul 18, 2024 at 10:41:50AM -0700, Van Snyder wrote:
> On Thu, 2024-07-18 at 07:55 +0000, Andrew M.A. Cater wrote:
> >
> > HOW did you upgrade? Did you go via 11?
> >
> Fresh install on reformatted boot and root partitions.

OK

> > > I can't do that with my old Dell Vostro 1700 because the NVidia
> > > graphics chip is soldered to the motherboard, and it needs the 340
> > > driver, which is also no longer available.
> > >
> One chipset.
>
> > If it *just* has Nvidia - at this point, use Nouveau - stop trying to
> > use Nvidia drivers on old hardware and that Dell is 2008 vintage?
>
> I gave up trying to install the NVidia 340 driver on Debian 12.5. If
> the rendering is unbearably slow, I'll revert to Debian 10.

Please *don't* do that. Debian 10 is out of security support. Debian 11
will receive a final security update on 31st August as it transitions
to Freexian and LTS. Please use Debian stable wherever feasible.

> > Software movces on - the very latest Nvidia drivers are "more free"
> > but
> > also incorporate entire RISC-V chipsets on board the latest cards.

These are the very latest cards for a desktop/workstation.

> I can't upgrade a soldered-in chip.

So just use Nouveau already on a ~15 year old laptop.

All the very best, as ever,

Andy Cater
(amaca...@debian.org)