On Mon 26 Aug 2024 at 10:29:10 (-0400), gene heskett wrote:
> xfce4 desktop, running linuxcnc, [ … ]
> came across a dangerous situation yesterday.
>
> Basically using the lathe as a jig to hold a long piece I was tapping
> by hand, powered up but stopped. screen blanker came on and locked me
> out till I logged back in leaving linuxcnc live but hidden behind a
> black screen.  This is a dangerous condition if he wrong key is hit to
> wake it up.

Surely it's not screen /blanking/ that's your problem¹ but screen
/locking/. BTW were you really logging back in, or just unlocking
the session?

> That monitor AND the idling rpi4b draw about 22 watts, and is turned
> off only for maintenance.  UPS, standby generator, uptimes might be
> years.
>
> Replacing a CRT power hungry monitor means the only reason to blank a
> screen

tomas mentioned xset, which should deal with that. You need to decide
on whether a couple of seconds is too long to wait for recovery from
anything more than simple blanking.

> and interpose a login is security against prying eyes in an
> office environment.

That's the troublesome one for you.

> Soooo, what do I remove to absolutely, permanently disable the screen
> blanker? And I mean no chance it can ever do that to me again.

AFAICT you need to investigate XFCE's Power Manager. A quick google
turned up these:
  https://forum.manjaro.org/t/how-to-disable-auto-black-screen/127827/2
  https://forum.xfce.org/viewtopic.php?id=13535
  https://forum.manjaro.org/t/lock-screen-vs-login-screen/166644
but there may be better ones too.

¹ touch Ctrl, the key at the extreme bottom left of the keyboard,
  to defeat it.

Cheers,
David.