Markus,

Monday, January 27, 2003 you wrote:
MG> How can I test relaying trough my servers using the %piggyback address?
MG> "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" should be the correct format.
MG> This will not work.

    You have 2 mail servers, example.com, which is an IMAIL server,
    and example.net. Example.net lives on a different network, backs
    up example.com, and may or may not be an IMAIL server. I will
    discuss  below  how  to relay mail to a third domain, example.org,
    using the %piggyback technique:

        Example.net is a backup for example.com. The Admin who runs
        example.com mistakenly entered the IP address of example.net
        in his allowed to relay ACL. Or perhaps he runs both servers
        and has each backup the other.

        So  send a message addressed to "[EMAIL PROTECTED]"
        through   the  example.net  server  (the  backup  server  for
        example.com).

        Since  example.net is a backup for example.com it inspects the
        message   and correctly accepts it for delivery to example.com
        which  is  the  correct  domain  parsed from the address.  The
        message is queued and sent on to example.com.

        When  example.com,  our  IMAIL server, receives the message it
        checks to see if example.net is authorized to relay.  If it is
        then IMAIL parses the address in such a way that the % sign is
        changed  to  an  @  character  and  delivery  is  attempted to
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]   In  part  this  is  because the % sign (and
        other characters can be used as a domain delimiter.

        In  fact  neither  server has done anything really wrong.  But
        the  effect  of  the  process is that you will be listed as an
        open relay if you are tested in this way.

        The  obvious  solution  is  to  make  certain you do not allow
        relaying for any backup mail servers.

        And if that is not possible then you have to rely on Declude's
        PERCENT test.

MG> What can Scott mean by writing "IMail does normally check for this, but
MG> there is a report of it not catching this type of mail under certain
MG> circumstances." ?

    Just exactly what it says.

    IMAIL  and  other  mail  servers  can  be  set to use other domain
    delimiters  besides  the  "@" character.  There are actually valid
    uses for this phenomenon, too.  It dates back to early sendmail or
    perhaps even earlier.

hth

Terry Fritts