> > The  project  is to set up a dns server to list spam-vertised domain
> > names, plus all of the opt-in services domain names.
>
> Right.  And  are  you  successfully  updating  the name server at this
> point?  This  was  some  of  the  confusion:  some  people were giving
> suggestions for DNS server APIs, others for DNS client functions.

Exactly, we have the program updating a name server, no problem there.

> > You  point the program to this name server, look up the domain name,
> > if it resolves, it's a spamvertised domain.
>
> So  your  program's  client application needs to do a GetHostByName(),
> like the RHSBL tests in Declude.

Right again, but we want to use the native Windows API call, which we know
is there, for a few different reasons. We will also want GetHostByAddr
functionality incase we want to index spam-vertised IP numbers.

Using  DNS server appears to be the most scalable way to look these sites up
and make the list available to the industry. Making the list available to
the industry is the key. If people's email gets blocked industry wide
because they spamvertised, then there's some deterant to "legitimate"
businesses spamming, if that's not an oxymoran.

We're thinking of paying for the server, bandwidth, maintence, headackes,
etc. by fining spammers. If you want your domain name off the list you pay a
$50 fine. Maybe three strikes and you're never off the list. Free service to
the industry, make the spammers pay for it. Might pay for it, we'll see.

> Sounds  like  the  COM  objects  for ASP, and either COM or direct API
> calls  for  VB,  will  do  the trick. Have all the bases been covered,
> AFAYK?
>
> -Sandy

[EMAIL PROTECTED]