Sandy,

You're quite a capable person, and some of this stuff might be trivial for you, or maybe you just like tinkering with such things...but, it's overreaching to assume that this is the same for the vast majority of users.

A long time ago when I was in high school and proud member of the geeky A/V club, we often found ourselves without the proper cable to connect two devices...so we improvised.  One cable into another, switching genders, over and over again, eventually we got what we needed.  We were thinking on our feet; we were being resourceful.  However, had the proper cable been available, we would have been greatly overly complicating matters.

I guess what I'm saying is if you can do it without LDAP or ActiveDirectory, why not do it without LDAP or ActiveDirectory.  There's certainly other ways to go about doing this, especially if you only have one or a small handful of machines that need to access this data.  Sourcing directly from text files (not in real time as previously clarified) is likely the most universal and uncomplicated method, however some situations may well benefit by sourcing from LDAP, such as being a dedicated backup to an Exchange server, or a dedicated backup to an IMail server that doesn't gateway...or if you just simply prefer for it to be that way.  I don't think LDAP is bad, I just think that supporting a distributed LDAP environment is unnecessary if done solely for the purpose of storing several hundred to several tens of thousands of E-mail addresses.

Matt

Sanford Whiteman wrote:
I'm  not  dumping on LDAP, I think it can be very useful, however in
this  case,  is  it really necessary? Why not just support loading a
text  file  into  memory  and  using  that?

Because it's poor architecture that I wouldn't trust on my mailserver.

It's   the  lowest  common  denominator...

Yep, that's the problem, all right. :)

The  only  reason  not  to  use  text  files  would  be  a technical
limitation,  but  I'm  not  suggesting  that it be accessed once per
message, so that isn't at issue.

Then  you  clearly  don't see the _other_ technical problems involved.
Disk I/O is not the primary problem.

I  would  certainly  look  to  VAMsoft  for this application if they
supported text files...

Well,  you  _can_  use  ORF  for  this! Just use their "everybody but"
recipient  blacklist,  whose addresses are stored in the .INI file and
read once at service start (ORF service, not SMTP service). Every time
you  update the file, net restart ORF. It's _already_ there for you in
ORF if this is the way you want to swing it.

I  believe that if you have a single domain, AD via LDAP is the better
way  to go. As a longtime LDAP user, I believe your concerns about the
complexity  of  having  a  built-in LDAP service running with the sole
purpose of MX user lookup are unfounded.

--Sandy

Sanford Whiteman, Chief Technologist
Broadleaf Systems, a division of
Cypress Integrated Systems, Inc.
e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

SpamAssassin plugs into Declude!
    http://www.mailmage.com/download/software/freeutils/SPAMC32/Release/

MailPure custom filters for Declude JunkMail Pro.
http://www.mailpure.com/software/