And how do you can the spam if it's a legitime user?

As long as you don't requiere authentication with a user name and password I can send
an email through your server as long as I have
the correct address.

We had the same problem for about 2 years ago

Solved it by using the mailall function in Imail giving them a mail that they had to
do changes so and so to use our mailserver to
send through.

Out of 140 000 mailaccounts we had around 150 contacting us by phone the first 2 - 3
days after that it was going as usual.

Don't make the problem bigger than it is.

Benny