Bud Durland has written a nice external test called HELOISIP. (see attached message)
For further information search for "HELOISIP" or "new test" in the archive.

Markus

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Dan Geiser
Sent: Wednesday, May 19, 2004 3:28 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [Declude.JunkMail] Filtering for HELOs that are IP Addresses

Hello, All,
I am considering creating a filter file that looks for HELO strings that are IP addresses.  I was going to do something along the lines of the following...

====
# // JunkMail.05.Filter.Helo.IP.txt //

# ================================
# == Add Points To Total Weight ==
# ================================

# -- Untrusted HELOs

# ---- HELOs That Are IP Addresses

HELO    100    CONTAINS    0.1
HELO    100    CONTAINS    0.2
HELO    100    CONTAINS    0.3
HELO    100    CONTAINS    0.4
HELO    100    CONTAINS    0.5
HELO    100    CONTAINS    0.6
HELO    100    CONTAINS    0.7
HELO    100    CONTAINS    0.8
HELO    100    CONTAINS    0.9

<In here are also HELO 100 CONTAINS [1..8.1..9]>

HELO    100    CONTAINS    9.1
HELO    100    CONTAINS    9.2
HELO    100    CONTAINS    9.3
HELO    100    CONTAINS    9.4
HELO    100    CONTAINS    9.5
HELO    100    CONTAINS    9.6
HELO    100    CONTAINS    9.7
HELO    100    CONTAINS    9.8
HELO    100    CONTAINS    9.9
====

Am I correct in my thinking that with this filter that an IP address in the HELO string would NOT add just 100 points to the weight of an e-mail but instead could end up adding up to 300 points because each line would be compared to the HELO string and if that string was 210.10.23.75, for example, it would add 100 points for "0.1" and "0.2" and "3.7"?

Thanks In Advance,
Dan Geiser

--- Begin Message ---
Markus;

Thanks for the detailed feedback and kind words.  I haven't had time to
the study our numbers (and I believe our statistical universe is much
smaller than yours), but generally speaking I'm pleased with the results
we're seeing here.

For those who are interested, I'll be posting this test for download
from my web site (http://bud.thedurlands.com) this weekend Don't look
for it earlier than Sunday, but I promise it will be there.  There will
be two executables.  The current one remains unchanged.  The additional
test, called HELOISIPX only fails if the HELO is a "pure" IP address:

I created this because I see quite a few messages that use an IP for the
HELO, (and often it is MY mail server's IP).  I have never, ever, not
once seen such a message that wasn't spam, so on my system that test
will be weighted quite heavily.

Markus Gufler wrote:

>Two days ago Bud has announced HELOISIP as new external test.
>
>After trying this test now for 36 hours I can report the following results
>for 04/15/2004
>
>Processed messages: 9832
>
>Hold as Spam:          4728  (48% of all messages)
>Detected by HELOISIP:  1340  (28% of hold spam / 14% of all messages)
>
>FP's from SURBL:      55
>All of this 55 legit messages has had a final weight below 60% of our hold
>weight and so hasn't caused any real FP.
>
>91% of all spam messages catched by HELOISIP has already reached a weight >
>200% of our hold weight. So having a possibility to skip this external test
>if a certain weight is already reached should significantly save resources.
>
>Good test!
>
>Markus

illigitimi non carborundum
Bud Durland, CNE                                 Mold-Rite Plastics
Network Administrator                         http://www.mrpcap.com