I certainly wouldn't change my Sniffer weighting based on a 419 scam. The 419/Lotteries tend to be some of the more difficult spams to catch. Many of them come from legitate mail servers so they won't be on any blacklists and they won't score on technical tests. In your case I'd bet the -5 came from a combination of IPNOTINMX and NOLEGITCONTENT which will tend to trigger on 419 emails.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Joey Proulx" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <Declude.JunkMail@declude.com>
Sent: Thursday, April 14, 2005 7:50 AM
Subject: [Declude.JunkMail] Deleting emails based solely on Sniffer?

Can someone please explain to me why, if an email is flagged as spam by Sniffer, I shouldn't just delete it outright? Are there instances where Sniffer is wrong? Or is this the way you all use it already?

Reason I ask is that I have Sniffer setup with a weight of 10...and I hold messages with a weight of 10-14. This morning I got a Nigerian-type scam that sniffer flagged, but it only scored a total weight of 5. I'll have to check through my global.cfg when I get back from my 9am meeting, but something added a weight of -5 somewhere, meaning the email got through. If I had deleted all Sniffer-found spam outright, this would not have happened.

Thoughts?

Joey Proulx
SAU #21 Technology Support Staff
2 Alumni Drive