Matt, get the facts before you “rant”.

If you are running a business then you should be adhering to the rules.  I can’t believe you have been hosting sites/email services for so long and not been aware of SPLA.

I think your rant is totally offbase.  Let me give you (and others lurking) the overall view:

  1. The SPLA is an incredibly great program for service providers (which you are).  It allows you to completely avoid buying expensive software upfront and is entirely a pay-as-you-go program.

  1. For those not familiar with it, you report to Microsoft on a monthly basis what product licenses you are using and you pay only for the licenses in use.  Specific example:  You are a small hosting company and land a client that wants a dedicated server with dual Xeons running SQL Server 2000 or 2005.  With a retail license (which isn’t legal for hosting anyway) you would have to immediately go and buy a two-processor license for SQL Server.  At “going rates”, that is approx $10,000 retail (before discounts).  Now, after two months,  that client goes broke, can’t pay their bills and obviously cancels their contract (or you cancel it for default).  Now you are stuck with $10,000 of software and no cash.  Under SPLA, you would simply report to Microsoft that you are no longer using the license and pay nothing to them anymore.

  1. Although the pricing for SPLA is not public, it is widely available but I won’t give the actual pricing here to avoid any problems.  Suffice it to say, the pricing is very reasonable.  Basically, Microsoft has taken most prices and calculated a monthly fee based on the equivalent software price divided down over a 3-year period.  Since most financial types will depreciate software as capital equipment over a 3-year useful life, you can see that the “high level” pricing philosophy used here is very reasonable and is not a gouge nor is it a huge discount that is unfair to corporate or enterprises buying retail.  Of course, an important distinction is that you pay SPLA for as long as the license is in use, you never “own” it so you don’t stop paying after 3-years.  But given the churn and business conditions, along with the fact that software versions change more rapidly than 3-year terms, I don’t see this as having any practical financial impact.

  1. Microsoft created the SPLA program to make expensive, enterprise class software available legally to hosting companies that are small and entrepreneurial and not just the big telcos.  You can get almost ANYTHING on SPLA.  BizTalk Server, Content Management Server, Exchange Server, and many other products without investing $50,000 or more in licences if you bought retail or open license.  Anyone that thinks this program is bad needs to close their business and flip burgers or something else.

  1. Unlike all other licensing options (retail, open corporate license, etc.) there is no volume discount with SPLA.  This totally blew me away when I first heard it.  Yup, that means the price we pay per month for Windows OS or SQL Server is the same price that Rackspace, EDS, IBM, or ATT pays.  So when you see the price list and look at offerings in the market, you can get an idea of what the gross margin must be for someone selling a cheap server for $50 or $75/month with (legal) windows OS included.

  1. Unfortunately, within Microsoft, the SPLA program is “small” compared to many of their other business lines.  This means that many Microsoft reps, especially those that sell retail or corporate licenses do not know much about it and often give out conflicting info.  If you’ve ever worked in a big company (and I have worked in HP, Cisco, etc.) you will understand that salespeople in these bigger orgs are completely comp plan driven and only know/push/sell/understand the limited portion of the product line that affects their own paycheck.  This is not unusual.

  1. There is a dedicated, hardworking, and motivated “SPLA” group within Microsoft.  Visit their website and drill down, or call your regional Microsoft Office and get connected with them.  They are the ones that can answer all your questions and clarify any confusion over licensing, costs, and participation.  Bottom line – do not ask any Microsoft employee about SPLA unless they are directly involved – the info you get will be wrong, erroneous, and conflicting at the least.

  1. Microsoft has changed the program to allow small companies to qualify as “windows hosting” without needing the cost and time of having MSCP engineers trained, certified and on staff. You also do not need to be a certified partner – you only need to be a registered partner which takes only a few mouse clicks – no annual fees.

  1. Logistically, SPLA licenses use VLK (volume license keys) so you can use enterprise tools for imaging systems (SYSPREP) and deploying new servers quickly without the hassle of “product activation” that is part of retail software licenses.  You can also give 30-day trials to your customers, and no, running IIS does not require a client license for each anonymous user.

  1. Microsoft, as far as I know, has not taken legal action against anyone hosting using retail or enterprise licenses.  I’m sure their strategy is to use the carrot and not the stick.  In the big picture, they want to encourage hosting companies to use the Microsoft stack instead of the open source LAMP stack.  Making legal licenses available pay-as-you-go, providing extensive free marketing and tech support, and otherwise nurturing hosting and service providers has been their approach.

  1. I don’t work for Microsoft; I don’t get commission on this stuff.  Just a happy customer trying to debunk the FUD that some people spread about the SPLA.   There’s enough stuff to complaint about; SPLA is not one of them.