Here is SmarterTools take on the problem:

> Failed is written to the .hdr if the message was not succesfully recieved via
> SMTP. For
> instance, if the connection is closed mid transmission. These(and
> corresponding .emls) are
> normally just deleted by SmarterMail. The only reason you are noticing them
> is because of
> Declude storing them in the error folder.

The implication is that Declude is interrupting part of SmarterMail's normail
process.  Now I know this is essentially what Declude does anyway, but
shouldn't Declude know the difference between a message that has finished SMTP
and SmarterMail is ready to deliver, and a message that is incomplete in the
SMTP process and an SMTP retry is occurring so this failed message should be
ignored?  Otherwise we are going to get thousands of unneccessary incomplete
messages dumped into the error folder that is going to do nothing other than to
take up disk space.  Not to mention that if some other type of error occurs
that puts a message in the error folder, we'll never find it because its buried
under all these other superfluous messages.  Before 4.2.20, this wasn't a
problem.