I'm looking for a little help creating SPF records. I'm trying to use the tools at openspf.org. We only have one server that sends out mail for our domain. We have a secondary server that accepts email sent to our domain if our primary server is down (myriadnetwork.com). After going through the creation tool, it generated:

To be put in our zone file:
rogersbenefit.com. IN TXT "v=spf1 a mx mx:rogersbenefit.com ~all"

To be put in our DNS records:
mail.rogersbenefit.com. IN TXT "v=spf1 a -all"
mx2.myriadnetwork.com. IN TXT "v=spf1 a -all"

We host our DNS records at Network Solutions. If anyone else uses NetSol for the DNS records, how do we go about adding these lines to our DNS records? And also, is it recommended to use the "all" modifier or not?

Kevin

Jim Comerford wrote:

... but I noticed the domains that we were seeing this with did not have any SPF records in place. So when I saw this sudden increase come through, I added a strict SPF policy for that domain. The backscatter for that domain all but stopped. ... Good thing to check... the latest domain to get hit did NOT have an SPF record (and this seems to have been the worst so far)... BUT MOST of the ones that did get hit - did have an SPF record and we still get backscatter.

We typically add SPF on all domains.. but in reviewing we had missed a couple of them.

Hopefully the Filter that David is referring to will help.