*From:* Matt <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
*To:* declude.junkmail@declude.com <mailto:declude.junkmail@declude.com>
*Sent:* Wednesday, April 09, 2008 8:55 AM
*Subject:* Re: [Declude.JunkMail] form spam filter

The form spammers are smarter than to go directly to the mail script. They will hit for the form submission page with what appears to be IE and submit the form. They even handle cookies correctly.

The trick for form spam is to take fields like your Name and E-mail and rename the variables to something like "ignore-old-data1" and "ignore-old-data2" and adjust your mailer script for the new names. Then you insert new form fields in the form page that are hidden with a DIV and call them Name and E-mail. Your mailer script should pretend that the E-mail was successful if these fields have data in them, but you should simply 86 the actual message. This will trick their testing software into thinking that they were successful, and the DIV's with visibility hidden will not be seen by normal visitors. You might also want to put some javascript in the form submission page that looks for a URL in the form and warn the submitter that they can't send URL's, and then also have the mailer script silently reject a submission that has a URL in it. RegEx would be required in both JavaScript and the ASP or whatever code to do the URL checking.

As far as I know, this seems to work perfectly, but setting session variables on the form page doesn't do a damn thing.

Matt

Darin Cox wrote:
Since forms all use different emailers, and the form content is different as well, your only hope is content filtering based on what the spammer submitted... like SURBL filtering or REGEX on the spammer submission. These days, web-based form processing pages should minimally check that the referring page is what it is supposed to be (i.e. the form page submit button was clicked as opposed to a spammer submitting directly to the form action URL), and better yet implement CAPTCHA, require a login, or some other similar security measure.

Darin.