Hi Scott, and thanks for the reply.  This leads to another issue: we haven't
used your interim releases because these are either considered beta or alpha
(according to your interim page).  We normally try to use only the standard
("final") releases on our production software.  Following this newsgroup, it
seems like your current beta/alpha versions have a lot of cool features, but
they're still beta/alpha.  So do we have to use beta/alpha versions to be
current and safe?

Yes. That's the nature of the beast. When something like this comes up, you have a choice of remaining unprotected or running our latest code. The reason is that nobody expected that a virus would ever spread in .ZIP file, not to mention an encrypted .ZIP file. If virus writers push the envelope in ways that aren't expected, we have to be reactive instead of proactive.

So how do we reconcile this?

You need to decide whether the benefit of running our interim releases outweighs the drawbacks.

Declude JunkMail: The advanced anti-spam solution for IMail mailservers since 2000.
Declude Virus: Ultra reliable virus detection and the leader in mailserver vulnerability detection.
Find out what you've been missing: Ask for a free 30-day evaluation.