> There's another issue with Interbase that people considering a
> change should
> be aware of.  Interbase's performance when using TTables through
> the BDE is
> absolutely abysmal.

Um, as far as I know, this is a problem with ANY SQL-based DB (oracle et
al). It comes from
doing

select * from table

then get all the records. Not good in a 5 million row table :)

where an ISAM db just reads records as needed.

Try and apples-to-apples comparison:

Paradox:
  table.first
  while not table.eof
    inmemorylist.add(table1.currentRecord);
    table.next;

IB:
  select * from table

which ever way you look at it, getting a complete table down is ALWAYS going
to be somewhat quicker in an ISAM situation - you can seek directly to where
you want within the file. SQL has other advantages (joins, SP's, triggers,
RI, etc) that IASM/file-based just can't do well.

It also might depend where your cursors are - client side needs the data
local, server should use the server's internal cursor system, and should be
a LOT faster. You might also want to look at the BDE properties for the
connection - especially the MAXROWS and SQLQRYMODE parameters.

:)