Hi,

We use StarTeam for Version Control and Defect Tracking etc.  We are
currently reviewing our practice on storing packages, third-part code etc so
are watching this discussion with interest.

After trying a few different ways of doing things we have arrived at the
following check-out structure which I believe will work for any VCS.

Our current check-out system checks everything out to a SUBSTed drive
letter.  We use S: (for StarTeam).  This can physically be on C: or D: or
whatever partition a particular workstation requires.  SUBST statement in
autoexec.bat

Each project/ version/ branch etc is checked out to a subfolder on S: eg
S:\PROJECT1   S:\PROJECT2.  Below that the folder structures are identical.

Delphi is setup to use Z:\ for all search paths etc.  All DPR use statements
use relative paths, but can also use absolute paths based on Z:

To work on Project 1 you SUBST S:\PROJECT1 to Z:\
To work on Project 2 you SUBST S:\PROJECT2 to Z:\

This is fairly easy to do and some use a small batch file to help.

This way you can have more than one project on your workstation at one time
and it is very easy to switch projects without deleting files etc.

One gotcha we have found is to ensure that when new files are added to
version control that they are added from S: and not Z: so that they are
checked out to S: and not to whatever Z: you happen to have at the moment.

Wes Edwards