We use ini files / Vista and have not noticed any problems. Files seem to be the same format and only the locations may need changing.

Rob Martin
Software Engineer

phone +64 03 377 0495
fax   +64 03 377 0496
web www.chreos.com

Wild Software Ltd

John Bird wrote:
A friend of mine said this about Vista

"I understand, without confirmation yet, that Vista is intercepting calls to
the Windows API for INI files. I would like to do INI (config) files as I
want to not as Vista is doing. So I am looking for a self made INI file
replacement that does not use Windows API stuff. My goal is simply to manage
INI files as I expect them to behave, so I can avoid unexpected consequences
of Vista. At present I am using Delphi's built in TINIfile, which I am
guessing calls Windows API code."

I think in my brief tests of Vista there were issues writing to settings
files including .ini files but I thought it was to do with fil permissions -
that is once I allowed full access to the folder where the ini files were
then all seemed to behave.

Anyone have more information on if and how Vista changes access to ini
files?  Does D2007 contain changes to Tinifile to cater for this?  Any
issues for earlier versions?

I am guessing if Vista has changed the rules is maybe similar to how it
restricts access to certain parts of the registry hives...

John