From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Jeremy North
Sent: Monday, 30 April 2007 4:07 p.m.
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]; NZ Borland Developers Group - Delphi List
Subject: Re: [DUG] Vista and Ini files

Guys,

Since Windows 2000 MS have been saying DO NOT save settings to the
Program Files folder.

In Vista they finally made it very hard to save settings in this
location. If you followed MS's advice you would already be saving in
either the users profile or all users profile (for shared settings)
and File Virtualisation would not be important to you.

If you need to write to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE then this is the job for
your INSTALLER. The installer runs under Admin rights (UAC prompt) and
you should write to the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE key then. Your application
shouldn't ever need to write to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.

cheers,
Jeremy