[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
Daniel John Debrunner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

Rick Hillegas wrote:

When I run sysinfo against the branch, it reports that the version
id is "10.4.0.1 alpha - (635685)". It think that you need to modify
the 3rd digit in the release id. I believe that is the secret
handshake which turns an alpha into a beta.
The "secret handshake" is documented here:

  http://db.apache.org/derby/papers/versionupgrade.html

I'm sorry, but this is utterly confusing to me.
tools/ant/properties/release.properties contains a property called 'beta' that can either be 'true' or 'false'

The wiki page (http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/DerbySnapshotOrRelease)
talks about the 'beta flag'.

You are saying that the 'beta flag' does not refer to the previously
mentioned property, but to whether or not the 3rd digit of the version
number (the fixpack number) is 0 or not?

No, to quote the document:

"Fixpack (f) of 0 (zero) is a special value that indicates alpha quality software and causes version string to be appended with the word "alpha"."

Thus the third digit being 0 always marks the software as alpha, regardless of any setting of the beta flag, it overrides it.

Dan.