Hi Drew!

Am Dienstag, den 11.01.2011, 18:47 -0500 schrieb drew:
> On Wed, 2011-01-12 at 00:14 +0100, Christoph Noack wrote:
> > I tried to "play around" with the Base icon during the last two days
[...]
> The important part to me is to stop portraying Base as a database,
> because it is not - from working with hundreds or more of users with
> Base those that thought of it as a database had very bad experiences
> (meaning the Schema management and such) those that approached it as
> what it was designed for, a form/report management tool had much better
> experience.
>
> It would be nice for the icon to emphasis the form/report functions and
> IMO get away from the idea it is a RDBMS.
>
> I have a very crude idea for a base icon - I'll put it to an image and
> pass it along - it would only be to try and pass along my general ideas.

Oh yes, please do this ... and don't mind about the quality, it may even
be a pencil sketch. It's about getting the idea :-)

Of course, we will have to provide something, so that our recent OOo
users feel comfortable. And - like you - I'd like to set the right
expectations, since the report functionality is rather limited (if you
don't have the extension).

And, as I said before, at the end we also have to consider the
"uniqueness" of the icon - that is (here) a bit more important than to
be totally correct. MSO 2010 for example, switched back to "simple"
letters (user research based change, according to MS).

Looking forward ...

Cheers,
Christoph