Hi Christoph, all,

On Wed, Jan 12, 2011 at 12:14 PM, Christoph Noack
<christ...@dogmatux.com> wrote:
> Hi all!
>
> Am Sonntag, den 09.01.2011, 00:26 +0100 schrieb Bernhard Dippold:
>> (who starts working on the Draw document icon)
>>
>> If anybody else would try his/her skills on the Master Doc (just put
>> the
>> symbols of four Writer icons or the full icons together on the main
>> application icon), this would already help a lot!
>
> I missed that, so there is plenty of opportunity to others ... the
> Master Doc is also pretty important, I think.
>
> I tried to "play around" with the Base icon during the last two days,
> but it is pretty difficult. I fell back to the original "stack" idea,
> since it is rather hard to include all the database relations and the
> objects and keeping a unique and easy-to-identify look.
>
> However, here is the intermediate result ... the templates (are there
> any, didn't check ... no, seems not), and the High Contrast versions are
> missing. But, I added the original "colorful" version, and the Nik based
> "colorless" style. Personally, I prefer the latter ... otherwise Base
> reminds me of (delicious) candy.
>
> Now, I'm curious how you perceive the "background" idea for the 128px
> icon. I've added it to get a more or less harmonic style ... considering
> Writer and Calc. Unfortunately, the icons start to differ given their
> level of detail (per size).

Before I get into feedback mode, I want to say thank you for
continuing to work on these icons - it's great to see the progress!

Now, let's switch to feedback mode: I'm not sure that the binary
background works well as a metaphor. Of course, everything on
computers is, in the end, binary, but AFAIK, Base involves no more or
less binary than Writer, Calc, Draw ... at least, I hope it's a
program people can use without touching binary! Maybe some SQL code
could be used instead (CREATE TABLE ... SELECT * FROM....)?

I also think the 128x128 version adds some unnecessary complexity by
making space between the stacked cylinders... maybe add a fourth one
instead?

To really nitpick, I wonder if the 48x48 icon couldn't have a slightly
thicker border for the stack as it looks very thin against the thick
outer border of the icon.

As for the colors, I wonder if we couldn't find a compromise between
colorless and colorful icons by changing the color of the inner border
(which is gray in the colorless version). What I mean is: having a
gray or white inner border like the colorless icon coupled with the
colored gradient fill of the colorful icon? What do you think?

Regards,
Ivan.