Hi Alex,

On Thu, 2011-07-14 at 22:34 +0100, Alex B wrote:
> I'd realy love to see a darker application background in Writer. As you know,
> the appearance of LibreOffice depends on the used GTK Theme. Because most GTK
> Themes are light and bright, the contrast between the application background
> and the document is to low (especially on monitors with low contrast) [1].

        So - there are several things we could do here, to try to improve
things here; first - I got annoyed with the UI showing a white color as
the 'auto' color, so I updated the widget to show the (actual) Automatic
color in the combo preview - that improves the look.

        It seems this is the svtools/source/config/colorcfg's APPBACKGROUND
setting, which we fetch from:

 Application::GetSettings().GetStyleSettings().GetWorkspaceColor();

        Which we set from: vcl/unx/gtk/gdi/salnativewidgets-gtk.cxx like this:

    // background colors
    Color aBackColor = getColor( pStyle->bg[GTK_STATE_NORMAL] );
    Color aBackFieldColor = getColor( pStyle->base[ GTK_STATE_NORMAL ] );
    aStyleSet.Set3DColors( aBackColor );
    aStyleSet.SetFaceColor( aBackColor );
    aStyleSet.SetDialogColor( aBackColor );
    aStyleSet.SetWorkspaceColor( aBackColor );
    aStyleSet.SetFieldColor( aBackFieldColor );
    aStyleSet.SetWindowColor( aBackFieldColor );
    aStyleSet.SetCheckedColorSpecialCase( );

        I would certainly be up for tweaking some of those colors to darken
them; we prolly want to assign 'SetWorkspaceColor' to a temporary and
do:

        if (col.IsDark())
                col.IncreaseLuminance(20);
        else
                col.DecreaseLuminance(20);

        Or something equivalent; of course, these kind of tweaks are really not
-that- wonderful ;-) and it's probable that we'd want to allow
overriding with:

        // hyperlink colors
        GdkColor *link_color = NULL;
        gtk_widget_style_get (m_pWindow, "app-workspace-color",
                              &link_color, NULL);
        if (link_color)

        Or somesuch so the situation could be rescued by themes that do odd
things with contrast. It'd be a nice easy hack I guess if someone wants
to file the bug and/or add it to the easy-hack page and/or post a tested
patch to the dev list. :-)

        HTH,

                Michael.

--